He was born in Bærum, and took the dr.juris degree in 1979. Since 1986, he has been Professor of Law at the Faculty of Law, University of Oslo. He is a member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters.
He has published a large number of juridical books and articles. He continues to update and edit the book Forvaltningsrett (administrative law) after the original author Torstein Eckhoff died. Smith has also written the book Konstitusjonelt demokrati (constitutional democracy), which forms the bulk of the curriculum in constitutional law at the university.
On May 29, 1998 Smith received an honorary doctorate from the Faculty of Law at Uppsala University, Sweden In 2014, Smith was awarded an honorary doctorate degree by the University of Copenhagen. This is his third degree honoris causa, holding the former two at the University of Uppsala and at Aix-Marseille Université. Furthermore, Smith is Officer of the Ordre des Palmes Académiques. In 2012 he was anointed Knight of the Legion of Honour.
- "Eivind Smith". Store norske leksikon. Kunnskapsforlaget. 2009.
- "Gruppe 6: Rettsvitenskap" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2009.
- Publications 1973-2002 Archived 2008-02-14 at the Wayback Machine
- Curriculum, University of Oslo 2008
- Board of directors Archived 2009-05-01 at the Wayback Machine – Norwegian Institute for Social Research
- "Honorary doctorates - Uppsala University, Sweden".
- Eivind Smith ny æresdoktor ved Københavns universitet Archived 2014-11-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Eivind Smith, personal profile